Frequently asked questions
- Is there an age limit?
- There is no age limit for the Maui 5k. Participants under the age of 18 years of age must have a parent or guardian signed waiver.
- How much is the entry fee?
- Early online registration is $30/person for the 5K run, $25/person for the 1 Mile run/walk and $35 per person for the “Virtual Run” option. Early online registration ends at midnight January 31st. The online entry fee increases to $35/person for the 5K run and $30/person for the 1 Mile run/walk on February 1st. Online registration closes at midnight on February 26th. Mailed in registration is $35/person. Mailed in registrations must be postmarked no later than February 15th. Fees increase to $40/person at packet pickup and on race day so sign up early!
- How do I register for the event?
- There are 3 ways to sign up for this event:
1. Enter online at Events.com
2. Mail completed and signed registration form and non-refundable check payable to:
c/o 252 Kamehameiki Rd.
Kula, HI 96790
Mailed in registrations must be postmarked no later than February 15, 2019.
3. In person at packet pick up on Saturday, March 2nd.
There will be limited race day registration and packet pickup. PLEASE ARRIVE EARLY. Race Day registration will be accepted for $40/person – CASH ONLY, please.
- Can I download the registration form from the website?
- Yes, you may download and print a copy of the race registration form by going to maui5k.organd clicking on “Download forms and instructions” on the Home page
- Is online registration secure?
- Yes. Your information is secure when the website address at the top of your screen begins with https:// instead of http://
- If I register online will I be charged an online fee?
- Yes. There will be a minimal online fee added to your payment. We encourage everyone to sign up online.
- Will I receive a refund if I cannot attend the race?
- No. Your registration fee is non-refundable but it will benefit the school of your choice and you may still pick up your t-shirt at packet pick up.
- Can strollers participate and does the child in the stroller need to be registered?
- Yes, strollers are allowed. An infant or child age 4 years and under in a stroller must be accompanied by a registered participant. The infant or child must also be a registered participant with a waiver signed by the parent or guardian. The entry fee for strollers is discounted to $10.00/child or infant and they will also receive a t-shirt.
- May I use a photocopy of the registration form?
- Yes, copies are accepted. One registration form per person is required.
- Can my registration be transferred to another runner?
- No. Your registration is non-transferable.
- Can I register for a friend or relative?
- No. Each person must sign their own waiver. Parents must sign the waiver for anyone under 18 years of age.
- Where can I find additional information for the event?
- You can find more information by going to maui5k.org. If you still have a question, you may contact us by sending an email to email@example.com. Please visit our Facebook page for updates.
- Where is packet pickup and during what hours?
- Packet pickup will be held on Saturday, March 2nd, 2019 from 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm at Adventure Sports Maui, 400 Hana Hwy., Kahului, HI 96732.
All participants must pick up their packets during the hours listed above. Participants may pick up packets for each other only if all required information was properly filled out on the registration form and the waiver has been signed in advance. There will be no exceptions. Limited packet pickup is allowed on race morning. Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- When do I get my t-shirt?
- You will receive your t-shirt at packet pickup. This will help to eliminate long lines after the finish. ALL ENTRIES MUST BE RECEIVED BY FEBRUARY 15TH IN ORDER TO RECEIVE A T-SHIRT. IF YOU DO NOT SELECT A T-SHIRT SIZE YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE A T-SHIRT. There are no guarantees for a t-shirt for all registrations received after February 15th. We cannot guarantee that there will be t-shirts left after the race.
- Is packet pickup mandatory?
- Yes. Your packet includes your official race number bib. Your race bib must be worn or you will not be allowed on the course and you will not receive a finishing time to qualify for age group awards.
- Is there a special packet pickup for schools?
- No, there will be no special packet pickup for schools or groups. Schools, however, may contact us in advance and we will have their packets prepared ahead of time.
- Can someone else pickup my race packet for me?
- Yes, as long all required information was properly filled out on the registration form and the waiver has been signed in advance. There will be no exceptions.
- Can my race packet be mailed to me?
- No. All participants must come to packet pickup.
- If I cannot attend the race but have signed up for it, can I have my t-shirt mailed to me?
- No, t-shirts will not be mailed in order to keep expenses to a minimum. We strongly suggest that you make the effort to pick up your t-shirt during packet pick up hours. ALL ENTRIES MUST BE RECEIVED BY FEBRUARY 15TH IN ORDER TO RECEIVE A T-SHIRT. There are no guarantees for a t-shirt for all registrations received after February 15th. We cannot guarantee that there will be t-shirts left after the race.
Virtual Runners, only, will have a t-shirt mailed to them provided they have a US postal address. NO T-SHIRTS WILL BE MAILED TO ADDRESSES OUTSIDE THE US MAINLAND (Hawaii and Alaska excluded). Postage is included in the entry fee for Virtual Runners.
- How long is the run?
- There is a certified 5K course (3.1 miles) or a 1 Mile course. Running or walking is suitable for both distances. Parents are encouraged to register for the same course as their children because non-participants will not be allowed on either course
- How do I know which course to choose?
- The 1 Mile course is encouraged for kids 9 and under and their parents, however it is open to anyone. The 5K course is open to anyone who is capable of completing the course whether running or walking. We encourage all parents and/or guardians to register to participate with their children because non-participants will not be allowed on the course. Participants with strollers will only be allowed on both the 5K and 1 Mile course but must start at the back of the pack.
- If I change my mind about the course I chose can I change it?
- Yes. You MUST notify the race officials at packet pick up so that your entry can be changed. If you are switching from the 1 mile course to the 5K course it is imperative that you notify us or you will not receive a finish time. No changes will be allowed on race day.
- Are pets allowed?
- No pets are allowed on either course or at the start and finish line areas.
- What time and where will the 5K and 1 Mile courses start?
- The 5K event starts at 7:00 am and the 1 Mile event starts immediately after. For details on the exact course for both events go to maui5k.org and click on race information.
- Where can I find parking for the event?
- Parking will be available at the event site. School bus parking will also be available at the event site.
- Will bikes or skates be allowed on the courses?
- No. Skates and bikes are not allowed on either course because they can create a potential safety hazard.
- Are wheelchairs allowed on the course?
- Yes. Anyone who is physically challenged is welcome to participate in the Maui 5K. Please contact our office for registration information by sending an email to email@example.com
- Do I have to wear my race number?
- Yes. All 5K participants must wear their race number bib in order to get a finish time and to be eligible for an age group award. Participants in the 1 Mile Run/Walk will not be timed.
Awards and Post Race Information
- Who will receive age group awards?
- Awards will be given to the top three 5K male and female runners in each age group as listed below. There are no age group awards for the 1 Mile course.
Age 9 Under
Age 80 Over
- Will there be a post-race party and where will it be?
- Both the 5K and 1 Mile events finish near the parking lot area off of Hauoli St. Post-race refreshments will be available at the finish line. The awards ceremony will be held at approximately 8:30 AM at the same location.
- Will race results be posted?
- Yes. Complete and final race results will be posted online on our website www.maui5k.org.
School Participation Information
- How will my school qualify for and receive funds?
- All Maui County schools will be eligible to receive funds from this event. Each participant will be required to designate which school their entry fee should benefit from when they register for the event. If you do not designate a school then your registration fee will be donated equally to all participating schools. A minimum of $20.00/entry will be distributed back to your school.
- What do you mean by “participating schools”?
- A school can participate by signing up and physically participating (i.e. running or walking) in the event or by simply having someone donate to their school. Either method would qualify your school as a “participating school” and your school’s name will be added to list of schools which will share the event proceeds.
- Is it necessary to register my school?
- It is not required but if you will be your school’s Maui 5K coordinator, please let us know by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. It will help us to be sure that any race updates will be received and passed on to the students and parents.
- Can I make a donation to a school without physically participating in the event?
- Yes! Donations can be made at any time by going online to maui5k.org or by mail. Please be sure to designate the school you want your donation to benefit. If you do not designate a school then your donation will be distributed equally to all participating schools.